The 2nd annual Southern Maryland Balloon Festival supporting the United Way of Calvert County returns this year!
If you were there last year you’ll definitely want to come out again to experience the fun festivities. If you missed it last year, this is one festival you or your family wouldn’t want to miss!
This year’s SOMD Balloon Festival is packed with a load of additional fun activities and family-friendly events. Like last year’s event you’ll see tethered balloon rides, Maryland food truck vendors, live bands, evening balloon glow, and fireworks 🎆. New additions include artisan vendors, junior balloonist STEM demonstrations, and an expanded kid zone with interactive booths from local community groups; all to make this year’s event fun for the whole family.
The Southern Maryland Balloon Festival kicks off at 3:00PM on the 14th of July 2018 at the picturesque water front Jefferson Patterson Park in Calvert County, MD. Everyone must have a general admission ticket to enter and all tickets must be bought online!
- Walkabout Balloon – Take a walk inside of a balloon. The balloon gets turned on its side and air filled by a fan. This tent like experience allows you to walk inside without shoes to really experience a hot air balloon up close!
- Tethered Rides – When the winds are calm the tethered ride gives you the expeirence of hot air ballooning while being firmly attached to the ground with a three-point rope system. You’ll get to go 60-80 feet into the air allowing for beautiful views of JeffPat and the Patuxent River. $25 Morning tethered rides are sold out and afternoon times are available on a first come first served basis for $20 per adult and $10 per child age 5-12.
- Junior Balloonist STEM Demonstration (3PM) – Children can enjoy a free demonstration of how hot air balloons work.
- Balloon Glow (8:30PM) – Like a giant candle the balloons will fill the night with light and you’ll listen to an accompanying musical show.
- Sunscreen – No one knows how hot the sun could be at any point in time. With that said, it is imperative that you come with sunblock or sunscreen
- Walking shoes – Comfortable walking shoes that you can use on pavement, gravel, and grass
- Chairs/Blankets – Bring a camping chair so you have something to sit on during fireworks
- Water – Sealed bottles of water are permitted and will help keep you hydrated, also available for purchase from vendors!
- Bug Spray – Keep the bugs at bay (at river I guess in this case, lol)
- Umbrella – If there’s any chance of rain the forecast bring an umbrella or poncho
- Camera – Having your phone would do, but if you have a camera, this is one item you should not forget
- Sunglasses – block out those rays to see the view from high up in the sky on your tethered balloon ride
SOMD Balloon Festival Insider Tips And Things To Bring
Being that this and outdoor event in the middle of summer we’d like to give you some insider tips on what to bring to the event to help you get the most out of it and keep you comfortable.
- Free parking is available on-site with courtesy shuttles for guests with children, senior citizens and mobility concerns. Handicap parking is also available.
- Everyone must have an admission ticket to enter and all tickets must be purchased online (there is a cap and they are selling fast)
- There would be no rescheduling or refunding, it’s a rain or shine event
- All balloon and firework-related activities are wind and weather permitted, subject to authorization by on-site FAA and pyrotechnics representatives
- Free on-site parking at the event with courtesy shuttles for guests with children, senior citizens and mobility concerns. Handicap parking is also available.
Southern Maryland Balloon Festival Important Event Details:
I look forward to seeing you at the Southern Maryland Balloon Festival!
Jefferson Patterson Park